The city had steady and rapid economic growth, becoming one of the largest commercial and industrial centers of Siberia.It developed a significant agricultural processing industry, as well as a power station, iron foundry, commodity market, several banks, and commercial and shipping companies.The Soviet Workers' and Soldiers' Deputies of Novonikolayevsk took control of the city in December 1917.In May 1918, the Czechoslovak Legions rose in opposition to the revolutionary government and, together with the White Guards, captured Novonikolayevsk.The bridge was completed in the spring of 1897, making the new settlement the regional transport hub.The importance of the city further increased with the completion of the Turkestan-Siberia Railway in the early 20th century.In 1907, Novonikolayevsk, now with a population exceeding 47,000, was granted town status with full rights for self-government.During the pre-revolutionary period, the population of Novonikolayevsk reached 80,000.
At that time, it was the youngest city in the world with over a million people.
The new railway connected Novonikolayevsk to Central Asia and the Caspian Sea.
At the time of the bridge's opening, Novonikolayevsk had a population of 7,800 people. Its first bank opened in 1906, and a total of five banks were operating by 1915.
In the course of the war the Ob River Bridge was destroyed.
For the first time in the city's history, the population of Novonikolayevsk began to decline.